Rice. Avocado. Cucumber. Carrots.
Sushi lovers will immediately recognize this salad as deconstructed California roll.
If you’re as crazy for sushi as I am then you’ll love this super easy recipe.
This sushi salad unrolls all of the typical flavours of your favourite sushi plate. Crisp strips of nori soften with rice (or quinoa), crunchy vegetables and tofu cubes, together with creamy avocado and a soy-style vinaigrette just makes the easiest and healthiest Japanese inspired dish.
This deconstructed sushi salad, which takes only 25 minutes to prep, contains more nutritional goodness, than your usual takeout meal keeping all its quintessential flavours.
With nearly 20 grams of protein per serving, this salad will keep you fuller for longer, while avocado and carrots supercharge your plate with calcium, iron, fibre and vitamins B and E.
What’s not to like?
Please try it and let us know how it went…
- 120 g of brown rice or quinoa
- 300 ml of water
- 1 medium carrot, grated or cut into strips
- ½ medium pepper, sliced
- 1 small cucumber cut into strips
- 180g firm tofu, diced
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 nori leaves, cut to strips
- half avocado, diced
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 4 teaspoons of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of tamari sauce
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Juice of 2 limes
- Start by making the dressing: mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Marinate the tofu for at least 15 minutes with 1 tablespoon of the previously prepared dressing.
- After that, prepare a nonstick frying pan with sesame oil and sauté the tofu until it looks crispy on all sides.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice or quinoa: bring the rice and boiling water in a small saucepan over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is soft. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Put the rice (or quinoa), carrot, pepper, cucumber, tofu and nori leaves in a salad bowl and add the sauce. Mix well.
- Finish the salad with avocado cubes and sesame seeds.