This salad is the easiest thing in the world.
It is usually considered for many a side dish but it is so full of good for you nutrients that is perfect as a main meal. It’s loaded with Vitamin C, A and Iron and has less than 350 calories per serving. So what’s not to like?
It is so simple, so healthy and it’s even better on the second day (if there is any left). So it is actually perfect for anyone who likes to plan weakly meals in advance.
So basically, this salad is made from steamed broccoli tossed with an assertive garlic, sesame seeds and a cumin-seed vinaigrette topped up with some good extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. The broccoli absorbs all the intense flavours of the dressing and it is absolutely delicious. Add some sliced mushrooms, some juicy cherry or plum tomatoes (or any other veggies like olives, courgette, etc.) and Voila… a super healthy and wholesome meal ready in 10 minutes.
- 1 ½ teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons roasted organic sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Large pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 ½ cups of sliced chestnut mushrooms
- 1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh parsley, to taste
- Lime juice (optional)
- Steam the broccoli for only 5 minutes. Let it cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, stir together the vinegar and salt. Add broccoli and sliced raw mushrooms and toss to combine.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil until hot, but not smoking. Add garlic and cumin and cook until fragrant, for about 1 minute. Add pepper. Pour mixture over broccoli and toss well. Add halved tomatoes, pumpkin and sesame seeds, parsley, lime or lemon juice (optional) adjust seasonings and serve.
- Add in as many vegetables as desired. It also works perfectly with quinoa, brown rice, chickpeas, avocadoes, etc...