Yes… stay with me.
It’s “pasta salad” o’clock 🙂
- High in fibre
- High in protein from the chickpeas
- Perfect for Summer
- Easy to make
- With a Mediterranean twist
- 2 cups of pasta (I used corn farfalhe), cooked according to package
- 1 small can of chickpeas in water
- 200grams of leek
- 2 medium beetroots
- 1 small yellow pepper (optional)
- 2 cups of salad greens (either lettuce, wild rocket or watercress will do)
- Fennel seeds and/or rosemary sprigs (optional)
- About half a cup of fresh dill
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions. Reserve. Let it cool.
- Prepare the veggies: finely slice leeks, peel and cube beetroots. Lay them on a baking tray or a oven proof dish, and a drizzle of olive oil and fennel or rosemary sprigs. Let them roast until crispy and fragrant - around 15 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let them cool.
- In the meantime, and If using chickpeas from a can, drain them and place them in a frying pan with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Season with smoked paprika, salt and pepper... mix well and gently fry them until crispy. Remove from heat. Reserve.
- Let all the above ingredients cool down.
- Prepare your salad bowl: add some fresh salad greens (lettuce, wild rocket or watercress) to your salad bowl.
- Assemble your salad: to the salad leaves add pasta, chickpeas, leek and beetroot. Mix everything well. Add a bit of lemon juice or balsamic vinegar, scatter some dill and serve cold.
For other super easy Summer Salad ideas, check the recipes below: